Monday, October 31, 2011

Bridgestone Tires Commercial

Funny Bridgestone Tires Car
Commercial

This commercial one
co-worker convinces the other that he has sent an inappropriate e-mail to
everyone in the office not just him. In response the “gullible” co-worker hops
in his car and tries to destroy or take away his fellow employees phones and/or
computers. Upon returning his co-worker laughs at him and says he was joking. So
in revenge he jumps back into his car and messes up his co-workers house. At the
end of the commercial the Bridgestone logo comes up and it is said to get the
most out of your car it is Bridgestone or nothing.
What forms of satire does
the producer use to cause humor within the commercial. Why do you think the
producer chose two male employs instead of women? In what ways was the
commercials use of color noticeable? How was this commercial successful in
advertising Bridgestone? What was interesting about the reaction of the
co-worker at the end of the clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufq3TSKK0fM&feature=youtu.be
Facilitators: Ashley Cahall, Alyssa Marohn, Nicholas Thissen

17 comments:

matt morselli said...

This commercial uses a very comedic approach to force people to watch the commercial along with remember it. Most of the commercial has nothing to do with tires such as working in an office, destroying computers and phones, and damaging homes. Though the commercial does not really say anything about tires the audience will remember it. I found the most entertaining part to be the end when the guy liked his house after his friend tried to ruin it. Many people wish they could do that to a fellow employee and relate well because they have that person in the office who always tries to play jokes but they go too far.

Lexy Doerfler said...

I, too, found it very interesting how very little is done to sell the tires. There is nothing stated about their function or effectiveness compared to other brands, just the statement that the tire is for "drivers who want to get the most out of their cars." The coworker's reaction to his house being messed with made me think the worker had ruined the wrong house. I would have thought if it was his own he would feel a little more emotion towards the fact that it was trashed.

Joel said...

This commercial was kinda cool on how they played the commercial off the stories of "...and he accidentally hit send all" that I have heard of a couple of times. Bridgestone was probably not very succesful with this commercial because of the lack of focus on the tires, and this ad would have probably been a better car commercial. The company used two male employees for this commercial for the fact that it would be funnier to see some guy in a suit screaming while knocking away people's phones/computers. On a side note, I like how they made the guy quiet in the theater, which could be a subtle hint to obey the rules or something.

Alexia Hernandez said...

In the commercial, I find it interesting that the two characters are compared by two different kinds of personality working extremes. For example the guy whose house got teepeed, is the type of person who is always carefree and relaxed about work and life in general. The other guy however, is the workaholic and is always stressed. By juxtaposing the two characters it creates the commercial to become humorous because of their reactions to each of their “misfortunes”. Hence, at the end of the clip the tranquil man was optimistic about his house getting destroyed compared to the stressed out man who freaks out.

Anonymous said...

I was slightly surprised to see that this version of the commercial is different than what was actually aired and I found this version to be less funny. Although, I did find it interesting that at the end, the man with the mustache found his sabotaged house to be better than his older one which further adds to the guy with the car's misfortune who thought his world had pretty just ended only to see it was all a joke. As a side note, I am quite curious as to how the people will react after they recover from the of their computers and phones being destroyed.

SPetraglia said...

I don't know how effective the commercial was in marketing the tires. It did, however, grab my attention. Everyone's worst nightmare is sending out a message to the wrong recipient or the entire office for that matter, so the commercial is relatable. It is very fast-paced and the humor grabs the audience's attention. The sound of the tires screeching on the pavement is very amplified, but besides that the commercial really does not emphasize anything about the tires until the end.

Nick Thissen said...

It is interesting to see a few of you comment on how poorly this commerical must have done and yet Bridgestone says this is one of their most sucessful Super Bowl ads. Maybe it is because everyone already knows what Bridgestone does and they just wanted awareness.

chswaney said...

I found it very interesting that they showed the strength of the actual tires when he was going from destination to destination but only briefly and it always accompanied intense tire peeling noises. He drove his car with such intensity in every scene that his tires must be adequate for his form of driving. Obviously, he needs to Bridgestone Tires..

Allie Vandrak said...

I like this commercial alot. Just in the fact that they incorporate a new car and are trying to sell it to the customer, they use humor with it. The point is for people to see how this car can get at high speeds and get the job done wherever you need to go. But what makes it funny are the tasks the guy has to do, all because his friend was kidding around and said he sent an email to a bunch of people. Also what I thought was funny was how he attempts to put everything back the way it was, making it seem like nothing happened. The car provides an eventful day for the employee.

eahlers said...

I found that this commercial was very eye catching. In terms of color, I think that the producers used mostly dull colors seen in the work environment but then added pops of bright colors like the crazy guy’s blue shirt in order to make in more interesting. Furthermore, the fact that he is one of the few people in a bright color makes him and his actions stand out more as he continues on his rampage. Overall, I feel that this commercial was successful because it grabbed the viewers’ attention and left a lasting impression of their product. The random spurts in which the tires are seen make them seem cool and reliable as they are able to hold up during the employee’s wild sporadic driving. As a result I think that they speak for themselves, and the fact that they don’t just describe them makes the commercial stand out compared to other tire sale commercials.

Anonymous said...

I think the commercial used two guys because adult women are see as more mature/ less prone to engaging in or being taken in by immature pranks. The commercial was made interesting by the guy's overreaction to having his private e-mail sent to all his colleagues. Unlike the previous car commercial, I think the tire commercial did a better job in trying to peddle its wares. The crazy employee is shown going everywhere in a desperate attempt to destroy his colleagues' cell phones/computers. Several times during the commercial the audience is shown close-ups of the tires. Bridgestone prides itself on durability and performance, and by showing tires that still run smoothly after all the abuse they've been put through, the consumer is more likely to confide in Bridgestone as a brand. (Maybe I'm the only one who thought the commercial was at least somewhat effective?) At any rate, the over-dramatizations and the unexpected response of the colleague who originally pranked his friend make the commercial stick in the viewer's mind.

Anonymous said...

I would have never known that this was a tire commercial had the title not been "Bridgestone Tires Commercial." Therefore, this commercial is not very effective in selling the tires. As far as humor goes, this commercial is hilarious. I've been in the situation where I have wanted to run and snag back my phone or unsend an e-mail, so I completely relate to the guy. However, the complete overexaggeration of breaking everyones phones and computers makes this commercial so humorous.

Dylan Golding said...

I agree with Nick. We all know that Bridgestone sells tires, also by driving around town extremely crazy and fast like the guy in the commercial implies that the tires perform well. So this commercial was probably just meant for publicity. That's why it was aired during the super bowl. I think it is successful because we can all relate to the embarrassment of sending messages to the wrong person. This, along with the humor of the commercial, makes it extremely remember-able. Personally, I think the funniest thing about this commercial is the fact that even though the guy destroyed everyone's computers/ phones they can all easily still access their email somewhere else, so his effort was in vein.

Brooke Theiss said...

I enjoyed this commercial a lot when I saw it on television. I feel like they used two male employees because it seems as if men are put in this stereotype of goofing off at work with one another and cracking jokes. So using two men made it a more realistic thing that could happen. The man's reckless driving from place to place to destroy the computers of people he replied the email too shows that Bridgestone tires are capable of any type of driving and everyone should have those tires on their cars. But, I find it interesting that it only showed bits and pieces of the car driving and focused more on the guy destroying the laptops and such when it's supposed to be a tire commercial.

Cody Gerken said...

This version of the commercial is different than what I have seen on television. I like this version better because it makes the commercial funnier instaed of having a serious tone.

kerryjones said...

It was interesting that most of the commercial was irrelevant to the actual tires. It depicts crashing, humor, and other things but does not mention or show the tires until the very end. It seems that the makers of the commercial wanted to make the video more appealing to males by showing the crashing, humor, and having only males in the video. Typically, males are the ones interested in cars and buying tires.

Mazin Altuama said...

The producers were successful ,when they make the audience confused about the commercial untill the“Bridgestone” tires logo comes up at the end .In this commercial we saw the other employee who received the email didn’t notice that his colleague left the office and went everywhere to shutting down all the computers and cell phones and pulled out the internet's cables, not even when he went out again to mess up with his friend’s house, that make us as an audience feel that the “Bridgestone” tires can make the life easy,safe and very fast .they picked two males to this commercial because they feel like the males are more involved and obsessed about everything regards the cars .The nice part was when he went to the theater and he took the lady’s cell phone he stopped for a while watching the movie and react with it, his face was sad like the music was,and in the end he was exhausted by going everywhere while his friend was calm and smiling when he saw his house messed up.