http://youtu.be/CfyHY58lqCk
In what ways do the producers use ethos to credit/discredit the main character? Do you think that pathos was successfully used with the main character? Why or why not?
How do the producers want the audience to feel about the main character? Do you think that the producers exaggerated when they presented the main character? Is this presentation persuasive? and if so, to whom?
In what ways do the producers try to draw the audience in and relate them to the plot?
Group Facilitators: Sammi Petraglia, Mazin Altuama, Dylan Golding
23 comments:
I found it interesting how the main character was contrasting with the other adult characters in the film based on how they dressed. Ned reflected his character by consistantly dressing as a kid or dressing informally as compared to the other adult characters whom dressed in more sophisticated fashion. This shows that Ned is not a "normal" adult which appears to be a central feature to the plot as conveyed by the commercial.
The producers seem to try to draw the audience in by saying "this is what life might be like if adults acted like kids." They approach this by trying to make acting like a kid seem fun and relaxing instead of boring like a normal job. Since the main character is also relatively naive because he is a kid, the producers are also trying to get something of a pathos response to sympathize with the character.
The producers want the audience to feel like Ned is an idiot. I don't feel that there is anything in the trailer that tries to get the audience to sympathize with Ned because Ned literally pulls out marijuana in front of the cop. How much more stupid can someone be? I mean, c'mon, he got what was coming to him. The producers didn't exaggerate one bit when creating Ned. I know many people from my hometown like Ned so I automatically thought of them. (Yes, I know that is anecdotal and anecdotal = bad but I'm just keepin' it real.) Ned is in no way the "typical adult" and I think that was expressed exclusively in the scene where he caught the kids fingers in the door. That is a stereotypical child thing. Every kid slams someone else's fingers in the door because children have zero regard for others and tend to be wary of only themselves. Ned puts off selfish airs the whole trailer and being selfish is the typical trait of adolescence.
I think it is interesting that they showed multiple scenes of the main character playing with the young boy. This symbolizes that they are both about the same in terms of maturity, and implies that the main character is more like a child than an adult.
It appears that the producers want Ned to seem like the brother that never grew up. The first time I watched this clip, I picked up on how all of the adults around Ned were annoyed by him and his actions. They just seemed to want him to grow up already. However, the second time I watched the clip, I picked up on how the child in the video reacts to him. The young boy the commerical is shown laying on a trampoline as Ned bounces him, laughs at Ned when goes to the bathroom in the yard, karate chops him while playing around, and smiles at the thought of a "tomion." These little burst in the commercial from the child shows that Ned isn't a bad guy, he just hasn't grown up yet.
This trailer was very interesting, in showing how some people just don't grow up, they stay in their younger years. Ned is trapped inside of an adult's body, as he has mannerisms of a child, just like the little boy. They play and laugh with each other, and they relate to each other. The satire in this trailer that was touched on was the "odd one out", where Ned seems to be the child that the parents have trouble with, or is hard to deal with in the family. You've got to have the "black sheep" somewhere in the family.
I find the last scene of the movie clip very interesting. In the last scene, it shows Ned playing hid-n-seek with the little boy then; it shows Ned kicking the closet door onto the boy’s fingers. Next, it states the title “Our Idiot Brother” to add to the idiocy of Ned. It emphasizes how Ned is portrayed as an idiot because by putting this scene last you can juxtapose the scene next to the title to conclude that Ned is an idiot. Therefore, the producers use logos, or factual evidence, that Ned is, in fact, and idiot.
i found it very interesting that the main character is first fooled into giving a police officer some weed. This is our first view of "the idiot brother". as the trailer continues, it is very evident that the main character is still a child at heart and this is shown by the main character playing with a young boy. The main character is also shown as inferior to all the other adults by his childish clothes and wild hair and full beard. the commercial/trailer is definitely successful in conveying the mood and message of the movie as a whole.
Alright so I'm noticing that you are all picking up on the fact that Ned is immature and childlike. Personally, how does that make you respond to him? Do you sympathize for him? Pity him? Or even dislike him for his immaturity? And what reaction do you think the producers were trying to get? Do you think it was effective?
Also, I'd like to get your guys' opinion on the song selection Don't Bring Me Down by E.L.O. I find it very appropriate for the trailer. Why do you think the producers used this song?
I respond to Ned's childlike personality in a good way because his childlike personality has him always being in a good mood and never really down about anything. For example, when he was being put under arrest by the cop for giving him marijuana, even though he thought the cop might've been joking, he didn't get extremely upset about it. Instead, he made a joke himself about getting arrested by putting his arms out to get handcuffed. It's almost as if Ned isn't living in the "real world" and that he lives in his own reality where everything is happy and nothing is depressing. Ned's character reminds me of Alan from the hangover; they both have the same personality of being childlike and immature. It's pretty clear to me that the producers were trying to get people to laugh at the immature things that this character was doing and I believe that they achieved their goal; I laughed at many points throughout the trailer and I've been wanting to see this movie myself.
After watching the video, I noticed that in all of the scenes with adults, the only one to smile at Ned or when talking about Ned is when the cop is arresting him. The kid, on the other hand, is smiling and having a good time with Ned in every scene except when his fingers are slammed in the door. The producers use this example to get the audience to sympathize with Ned because instead of focussing on the pain the boy is going through, the boy runs out of view so it becomes harder to relates to him. Instead, my attention is focused on Ned, who seems in shock of what he did.
Whether or not pathos was successfully used with this character depends on who is watching the trailer. I’m sure many people enjoy this type of humor, but I personally prefer dramas and action movies. I don’t have a great appreciation for this type of humor; therefor in my case the pathos was not successfully used. Although I laughed at the cop scene, I did not find the rest of the trailer very funny. I don’t agree that most families have a character like this within them. I cannot think of anyone in my family who acts anything like this character. I believe that in most movies, there are characters like Ned to create the storyline and emphasize the humor, but assuming there are characters like this in every family is not necessarily realistic.
Okay, I see that most of you guys are viewing Ned as an idiot or as acting completely inappropriate. A few of you even said you know people like Ned. Do you think the producers are trying to send out a message to our generation by creating a character such as Ned who many people can in some way relate to?
One thing that I found especially interesting was the change in music. In the beginning it was more quaint and happy with the scene where the police officer is asking for weed. Then it suddenly stops when he is getting arrested. The next scene then opens with him getting out of jail and seeing him interact with his family. It is a pretty dramatic shift in terms of music with more of a rock and roll beat that fits the idea that he is a rebel and does not really make connections with the “adult” world. It also goes along with some of the things he says to describe himself. He seems like he is a pretty naïve and happy go lucky so it fits in with the song when it says “don’t bring me down”. This also might stand for the fact that it doesn’t want to be brought down to the real world but wants to stay in his fantasy kid world. Overall, through the music devices I definitely feel that that the producers get their point across that Ned is like a kid that then gets on everyone in his family nerves.
While the other grown characters in the clip dismiss Ned's antics as puerile and pointless, his actions resonate with the audience. In particular, Ned embodies a sense of adventure and innocence that many adults find lacking within themselves. He is always shown smiling and having fun, whether it be feeding a dog a hot-dog, playing hide and seek with a child, or chasing dragonflies (?) in a garden. His actions are perceived as sincere, (such as when he offers a cop marijuana because the cop had a bad day).Ned is akin to the younger, carefree version of every person in the audience, and one can't help but but consider his actions sweet, even if they are a bit misguided. In other words, Ned is not just an idiot; he is also lovable, and, dare I say, enviable?
I think it is interesting the way they made Ned look and act. He almost looks like a modern Jesus and kind of acts that way by seeing the good in everyone and being happy all the time. Maybe this is what the producers were trying to do, use ethos subconsciously.
I think one of the ways the directors used ethos to credit the main character as the idiot brother. This was showed in the dress of Ned and also how he has big bushy beard and long curly hair. Showing that he can't take care of himself hygienically. Not only that but when he kicks the door like a ninja when the little boys hand is in the door. Showing that he obviously doesn't show much consideration for his surrounding. On the other hand i think this help achieve a feeling of pathos for him. He is so pathetic that the audience feels sorry for Ned. You want to help him be a better brother and more considerate.
The producers use the appearance of Ned to further demonstrate his immaturity. His clothing, hair, and beard all constants with the way a "typical" adult dresses. This could be showing that Ned acts childish. Ned's childish character also seems to show a sense of innocence within his character. While the other family members view Ned as an annoyance, the audience sympathizes with him because his immaturity comes off an innocence.
It was interesting that the main character is physically an adult but is mentally and emotionally a child. I also like how in the movie the cop uses a pathos appeal to get the main character to tell him about illegal drugs. The way the main character acts, plays with kids, and dresses shows he is still a kid on the inside. Everyone knows someone who has not yet grown up on the inside which makes it relatable to the audience.
I do not think that the character intro was over done. I belive the producers want us to feel pity for the character while realizing that we all know someone like Ned. I belive they used ethos well in that Ned explains that he means well and has honest intentions, however from the outside looking in it is difficult to tell.
Ned basically lives in his world every simple word or move comes from his side toward his family or friends its spontaneity,he looks like a kids in his behave they can’t distinguish between the wrong and the right even when the people give them advice or show them the right way to deal with problems in this life ,they even can’t realize how much it’s worth to learn or not, Ned gave us an example about some people we live with some of them they are pretend like a kids in their behave for some reason or people have sort of medical problem like mantel illness keep them behave like that .The producers gave us the full meaning for “ Idiot” represented by Ned’s personality. This trailer reminds me of a movie called "Big" for Tom hanks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J62jciQ1PbY
Post a Comment